Shakedown cruise after launching

While we were waiting to launch, we took the opportunity to unload lots of boxes from our car into the boat as this would save moving them in a trolley at the marina.   So, soon after launch, we began the unpacking process.  We also made several trips to Ikea and the likes to buy the necessary bits and bobs.

Angie and I celebrated with a bottle of champers on launch night and on Saturday afternoon, we were joined by our Daughter, Rebecca and her husband, Trev.   They kindly brought us some champagne too so that was seen off in due course.

Four days after launch, having got ourselves organised, we were ready to go cruising.

Alongside at our mooring at Dreadnought Wharf

We were pleased to welcome our good friends Jackie and Tony on board to join us on Sunday afternoon and, guess what,….they brought us some champagne too!     We celebrated our launch for the third time and “wet the boat’s bow” with a glass of chilled champagne (we couldn’t bear to waste it by smashing the bottle over the bow).

Wetting the boat’s bow!

We had already decided that it would be a good idea to stay in the marina for the weekend and “hit the river” so to speak, on Monday.

As Monday morning dawned, the weather was warm and sunny, so we headed off towards Henley, with a loose plan of having lunch on board, alongside at Henley.

Our first lock was Sonning Lock which, despite having the self service notice hanging from the gate, was attended by a lock keeper so we were very quickly through that one.

Sonning Lock

Further on we negotiated lots of rowers from Shiplake College before reaching Shiplake Lock.   This was also showing a self service sign and was, in fact unattended.   We moored alongside the waiting piles took a photo of the ladies and set the lock ready for entry.

Waiting to enter Shiplake Lock

More photo’s after entering the lock (there were no other boats about so we weren’t holding anyone up, before heading off towards Henley.

The river was nice and quiet and soon we approached Marsh Lock (also attended).  We waited for one bopat to clear the lock coming upstream then entered and cleared through very quickly.

Waiting for the upstream boat to clear the lock at Marsh Lock.

We were soon moored alongside at Henley. There was plenty of room so we had a choice of mooring spots. (All free before 3pm)

Lunch at Henley……note the nautical tee shirts! 🙂

We enjoyed a very pleasant lunch before heading back to Caversham.

The boat, crew and, of course, the skipper all performed well and a celebratory cup of tea was enjoyed by all when we got back to the marina.

2 thoughts on “Shakedown cruise after launching”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s